Chris Brown and Drake slapped with a $16 million lawsuit over W.I.P. bar brawl

 R&B singer Chris Brown and his rival Drake were socked with a $16 million lawsuit Wednesday over the glass-flying brawl at a popular SoHo nightclub.

 Greenhouse, on Vandam Street, shares space, owners and a liquor license with W.i.P. the bar where the fight occurred June 14. Owners of the Greenhouse trademark claim in court papers that the melee, which left at least seven people injured — including hoops star Tony Parker — cost them a $4 million licensing deal that they’d recently brokered.

Publicists for Drake and Brown have tried to distance the men from the fight over their former flame, Rihanna.

But the lawsuit, brought by Entertainment Enterprises Ltd., which owns the Greenhouse name, alleges they were directly involved.

Brown and Drake “began to fight violently with each other,” according to papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court. “Each ordered his security personnel, bodyguards, friends and entourage to join the fight.”

Witnesses said bottles were shattered so they could be used as weapons, and patrons started throwing glasses full of booze. The brouhaha started after Brown sent Drake a bottle of champagne — and Drake sent it back, prompting someone to start tossing ice cubes.

Members of each singer’s posse were also listed as defendants in the lawsuit, identified only as John Does.

“Defendants overran the nightclub’s extensive security measures and the brawl overtook the entire space. Terrorized patrons ran for cover…most were unable to protect themselves,” the lawsuit states.

Among those injured was Tony Parker, whose left eye was hit by flying glass. He has filed a $20 million lawsuit against the club. Others injured also have filed suits.

Brown and Drake “should have foreseen that their notoriety and celebrity would ensure that their acts had far reaching and devastating effects,” the trademark owners contend.

The bar was shut down by police and temporarily stripped of its liquor license by the State Liquor Authority.

Club owners went to court to win the license back on a temporary basis, and made a pact with the city to reopen with beefed-up security.

Police and the Manhattan District Attorney’s office are still investigating the incident. So far, no criminal charges have been brought.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s